Neues Lars Interview

• There's been a lot of arguing going on for all twenty-three years of this fucking band," says Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich. "But now we're having fun." If you've seen the tell-all documentary Some Kind of Monster, you know what Ulrich is talking about. The power struggles, alcoholism and childish bickering that nearly destroyed the world's biggest metal act have given way to a new-and-improved Metallica, thanks to the arrival of bassist Robert Trujillo and a forty-thou-a-month shrink. In the film, Ulrich also elucidates his love for fine art, and we meet his toughest critic: his dad, Torben, a jazz writer, pro tennis player and spitting image of Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. On August 16th, Metallica will kick off the final leg of their theater-in-the-round U.S. tour in St. Paul, Minnesota. "We've got four front rows," says Ulrich while vacationing in Italy. "And playing in the States in the summer, that's pretty good shit."
    Your dad seems so cool. What music was he playing around the house when you were a kid?

His passion, his love, his main thing was jazz. So out of his room came a lot of Miles, Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Ornette Coleman, Sonny Rollins. Copenhagen was the jazz capital of Western Europe at that time. But he also played the Doors, the Stones, the Beatles and Muddy Waters. When I started playing my first rock stuff around '73, like Deep Purple and Uriah Heep, we'd start bickering. He'd say it was square and the drummer was too white.

Did you go to clubs as a kid?

Yeah. A place called Montmartre -- I was dragged there a few times. But a lot of musicians spent time hanging around my house, like Sonny Rollins, Ben Webster and Dexter Gordon, who was my godfather.

How many beats per minute can you play on your double kick drum?

I don't know, but drummingwise, I'm close to the best shape I've ever been in. I've been stepping it up a lot this year, running. I quit smoking. When we're sitting there in the fifteenth minute of the third hour playing "Dyers Eve," I've been really, really good. Turning the forty corner, it feels good to say that.

Does Rob Trujillo scare you onstage? He's freaky.

I have the option of looking away [laughs]. When he's doing his sumo-wrestler-Satanic-crap walk, I can just turn my eyes over to [James] Hetfield. If he's doing his war face from hell, I know I can always go over to [Kirk] Hammett -- there's a little more lukewarm love over there. But Rob's been awesome. At the end of the Nineties, Metallica was like a military operation: Things got a little too fucking anal, and Rob's helped us loosen up. It's all good.

Does it piss you off that you can't get drunk with Hetfield anymore?

Me, Kirk and Trujillo can still throw down. Believe me. We can also do it when James is around. There's no issues. James has been an angel with that. He doesn't preach, or police, or get up in everybody else's shit.

You used to drink a lot onstage. Where did you pee?

As long as you don't piss on something that's plugged in. I haven't touched alcohol onstage since New Year's '83-'84, somewhere in upstate New York with Anthrax. None of us could play. But Kirk usually pisses in a bottle in his little booth, and I go and pee on a road case. There isn't a road case I haven't peed on yet.

What's your favorite drummer joke?

What has three legs and a cunt on top of it?

Um . . .

A drum stool!

Best prank you ever pulled?

I love the Cult, but when we had them with us for the whole summer of '89, one unnamed band member had a girlfriend who brought around goldfish in little bowls. One day the bus driver forgot to turn on the A.C., the fish basically boiled, and the girl fucking lost it. So for the show in Portland, we bought out the local pet store and for two minutes rained goldfish on their set. The unnamed member and his horrified girlfriend were trying to pick up the flopping fish. Their drummer, Matt Sorum, started eating them.

Sorum played with G n' R. You toured with G n' R. How much of a freak is Axl?

I haven't heard from the guy in twelve years, but Axl was two people. You were truly left wondering what the fuck was going to happen next. When he was in a good mood, he was the sweetest guy, and when he forgot to take his medicine or decided to go off, he was kind of a freak. He was the last person I've ever seen, though, besides maybe Bill Clinton, that when he walked into a room every single person was drawn to him. That's a rare thing.

What painting best embodies the spirit of Metallica?

Great fucking question: I'm leaning toward some of those big Jackson Pollocks. When I think of Metallica, I think of energy and movement; a path that's always wavering and moving all the time. I'd pick Pollock's Number 32, from 1950.

Who's the best drummer alive?

Jon [Theodore] from Mars Volta. We did three weeks of dates with them in Australia in January. They were so awesome, and Jon's the best drummer I've seen in ten years. He plays with fire and energy, the weight of Bonham and the technique of somebody like Phil Taylor from Motorhead but also Elvin Jones. I wanted to quit after I saw him play. "I'm not following that little fucker."
    Quelle: RollingStone.com
    AUSTIN SCAGGS
    (Posted Aug 11, 2004)

Obwohl ich nicht ganz verstehe wie heutezutage Lars Dyers Eve in anlehnung zu Double Kick Drum bringen kann und damit angibt :verplant: :skeptisch:

• Trotzdem warum erzählt denn der für einen quark, dass er zur zeit so verdammt gut ist und wie toll es doch sei Dyers Eve zu spielen, wenn er überhaupt keine DB spielt :verplant: Weiß der überhaupt was der da bei Dyers Eve live spielt :verplant: :D :skeptisch:

• oh gott, lars babble - hab überhaupt kein bock mir schon wieder so´n käs durchzulesen ! :D Trotzdem danke für´s posten ! :D Also ich find Lars is auf dieser Tour echt mal wieder tight unterwegs - hört euch doch mal Bremen, München und Schalke im Bootleg an - das is teilweise echt wieder Justice-Niveau...besonders geil: Fight Fire With Fire (Bremen), Damage Inc. (München) - so schnell hat er eigentlich seit Puppets/Justice Zeiten nimmer draufgehämmert ?(

• @Lemmy:schreib bitte wenn du etwas rauskopierst die Quelle drunter sonst kanns prob geben(siehe multizone.de von sandman!),thx.

Das Interview ist doch nett,und was die DB angeht ich glaub nich das wir das wirklich beurteilen können.Hört euch mal in München bei Damag Inc den Vers nach dem Solo an,Lars ist sooo schlecht nicht.

• ach, es mag immer wieder ausnahmen geben, ich fand ihn bei the wait in bremen auch nicht schlecht, aber im allgemeinen kann man 100% sagen, dass lars es nicht mehr drauf hat. schon seit 10 jahren nicht mehr. hoert euch mal die cunning stunts an. er spielt nicht scheisse, aber langweilig, irgendwie. wie lange ist es her, dass er ein gutes fill- in gezeigt hat? nicht zu sprechen vom drumsound... sooo trocken... und nicht nur bei st anger.

ich habe den eindruck, dass er einfach nur faul ist

• Faul im drummen,das kann sein,vielleicht eher ambitioniert im kreativen,mag ja sein.Und mal ganz ehrlich,wie alt ist er?Wieso sollte er nochmal versuchen ein god-like-drummer zu werden?Er hat alles erreicht,er konzentriert sich eben auch auf andere Sachen,da muss er nich Topfit sein,aber ihm zu unterstellen er würde keinen Spaß beim drummen haben ist schlichtweg lächerlich,nur weil er keine 7min Drumsolos mehr spielt heisst das ja ncih er hätte keinen Spaß :rolleyes:

• bei Hammett und Ulrich isses doch recht ähnlich: Beide spilen nicht schlecht, jedoch weit unter ihren Möglichkeiten; sie hätten das Potential, sehr viel besser zu spielen - aber sie haben´s einfach nimmer nötig - warum auch ?! Es reicht doch auch so, Metallica rocken live derbe, sie sind imo sogar am besten in Form seit, sagen wir mal der Black Album Tour 1991. Sie haben´s in den 80ern allen zur Genüge bewiesen, das sie sowohl auf Tonkonserve als auch LIVE zu den absolut besten Heavy-Metal-Bands gehören und immer werden, jetzt sind´s nur noch die fetten Jahre, in denen sie das alles genießen können, was sie errreichten, und da wird man eben - bei allem Respekt - FAUL ! :D

• Es ist für ihn motivierender,das machen gerade recht viele Drummer,lange Fills will er ja eh nich mehr spielen,dafür soll der beat an sich im Vordergrund stehen,es lässt sich natürlich drüber streiten ob das nu auch so ist,aber was solls...

• When he's doing his sumo-wrestler-Satanic-crap walk. *wechlol
    -wo er recht hat.. hatter recht.-

When we're sitting there in the fifteenth minute of the third hour playing "Dyers Eve," I've been really, really good.

-Er is eben ein kleiner angeber. Naja-er kann es sich ja leisten-

WARUM HAT DER TYP SEIN DRUMKIT SO DERB VERKLEINERT??

Er wird immer kleiner.. das ist im alter so. Gug dir deine Großeltern mal an. :rofl:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!

Hard N Heavy Tourflash

Kommentare