Jason spricht. (NEWS vom 20.12.02)

• JASON SPEAKING
    The band Voivod, now featuring Ex Metalliman Jason Newsted to release self-titled album in March. As we all remember Jason left Metallica almost two years ago, and he is now ready for the spotlight again. VoiVod have released several good thrash metal albums, and was a part of the thrash scene Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer started in the 80s.
    Jason Newsted says Voivod, the veteran Canadian thrash band he recently joined, can kick Metallica's ass.

"I have to show respect to them, but at the same time I can offer the challenge," the former Metallica bassist said recently while in New York to master his first album with Voivod. "I'd like to play on the same stage, Voivod and Metallica, and we're gonna see who's what. That's really important to me, as a fan of Metallica, to see them come on and kick ass again. But also at the same time, I think that I'm in a band now that can kick their ass.

"So that's where it's at, guys. The offer's out on the table."

Following his split from Metallica last year , the tirelessly prolific Newsted emerged with the less-than-heavy rock outfit Echobrain , a move he now calls a "palette cleanser." He said he's a fulltime member of Voivod now, and though Metallica have yet to replace him, he's not going back .

"It would only happen if James called me and asked me, or came to the house and asked me, looked me in the eyes and said, 'Dude, come rock with me,' " he said. "I would have done that when I was asked that question three months ago. Now that I'm in this band, no, I wouldn't go back to Metallica. I'm not gonna go back to Metallica.

"If the inevitable 'someday' [comes] and there's a reunion and we play 10 shows for some people and we make it a real special thing that can meet the quality of what we created," he continued, "then I would be a part of it somewhere down the line. But right now, Voivod is my main focus and 100 percent of my time. I don't see a lot happening in the Metallica camp. ... I don't see a lot of dedication to the music, and without that, you know, it's pretty tough."

Newsted noted that his pre-Metallica group Flotsam and Jetsam "wanted to be Voivod," a band that emerged from the underground thrash-metal community with a trio of savage, seminal albums beginning with 1984's War and Pain. But it was 1988's Dimension Hatross and the following year's Nothingface that made critics and fans take notice of Voivod's blend of futuristic concepts and subtle social commentary delivered with progressive, mathematically inclined guitar dissonance, propulsive drumming, erratic vocals and distorted bass.

"I've been a fan of Voivod for many, many years," Newsted said. "Anybody who knows shows respect to Voivod. That's just how it is."

Voivod — vocalist Denis "Snake" Belanger, guitarist Denis "Piggy" D'Amour, bassist Jean-Yves "Blacky" Theriault and drummer Michel "Away" Langevin — toured clubs with Soundgarden and Faith No More as opening acts before Blacky split following their poorly received Angel Rat (1991). Snake left one album later. Piggy and Away soldiered on, releasing two studio albums with singer/bassist Eric Forrest and surviving a horrible touring van accident.

Newsted, who rarely misses a chance to jam with friends, formed a project with Piggy and Away called Tar Rat in 1995. "That was the seed that was planted for what is happening now," he said. Then, last year, Snake came back into the Voivod fold.

Jason offered to produce and perform on Voivod's next album, so they journeyed to his Chophouse studio in California, and before they knew it Jason was a part of the group, making it official during a radio interview before he had even told the rest of the band.

"I get to live two dreams in one lifetime, and very few people get even a chance for one," Newsted said. "Voivod has always been one of the very special bands for people. And I'm the new guy again in this band, it's kind of a crazy thing."

Newsted described the new Voivod material as sounding like, well, Voivod meets Metallica. "It has what Voivod's always had as far as quality and that unique thing that made the identifiable sound of Voivod ... all the ferocity and crazy dissonance of Voivod and the Snake sensibilities, except it goes boom."

Voivod said they'd love to tour with Slayer or the Foo Fighters after they release the self-titled record on March 4.

Source: VH1.com

Kommentar von mir:
    Wenn Ihn glücklich macht und das wirklich so heavy sein soll.

A :shottie:

metallicamp.de || mod

The Hetfield & Metallicalmer Bang your Head and Drunk Tour 08/09/10

05.07.2008 Wacken Rocks Seaside
    25.10.2008 Volbeat, Stuck Mojo
    29.11.2008 Saxon, Motörhead
    09.01.2009 Nutellica
    09.03.2009 AC/DC Oberhausen
    17.05.2009 Metallica Köln
    30.08.2009 Wacken Rocks Seaside
    10.10.2009 Jan Delay - Bremen
    08.01.2010 Nutellica Osnabrück
    29.04.2010 Six Feet Under Osnabrück
    13.11.2010 Volbeat Hamburg
    03.12.2010 Johann König - Emden
    22.01.2011 Jan Delay - Lingen

• Ich wusste gar nicht, dass Voivod auch ne Trash-Metal-Band ist. Ist das eventuell ein kleiner Seitenhieb von Jason gegen Metallica, dass nicht mehr die Mucke der 80ger gespielt wird? :)

METALLICA

"Man kann Angela Merkel alles vorwerfen, aber hochgebumst hat die sich nicht!" Ingo Appelt

BEER - Everybody needs a Hobby BEER

• jason soll ruhijg auch mal zurückschlagen .... aber ich befürchte er hat keine chance .... zwar haben ihn metallica scheiße behandelt, aber als Musiker hat er es auch nicht drauf ....er spielt zwar spitze bass, aber das wird kaum reichen um eine band entehen zu lassen, die metallica das Wasser reichen kann ....

Echobrains Album war totaler mist und Voivod klingt auch nach metallica abklatsch (und ziemlich schlecht ... der Sänger furchtbar)

Vielleicht sollte JASON zu Megadeth gehen und Dave unterstützen, wenn der wieder fit wird ....

keiner glaubt an das Ende von Megadeth ihr etwa????

• :skeptisch:
    1. Jason ist keine schlechter Musiker, siehe Blackened, My friend of Misery und Where the wild things are, oder von Flotsam die Doomsday, da hat er ja auch nen Großteil gemacht
    2. Megadeth brauchen keinen Basser, vielleicht sagt dir der Name Ellefson was?

We'll lose the things we've fighted for
    Each rise is followed by a fall
    We'll lose the ones we love, the ones we most adore
    Yet go on... We go on

• trotzdem sind Echobrain und Voivod ein total reinfall ... D.Ellefson ... ok dann soll Jason die Reunion von Sepultra begründen (da war er doch Fan von)

und ich glaube, dass Metallica schon damals mit Les Claypool besser gefahren wären ...

• Echobrain ist nicht schlecht, auch wenns kein Metal oder so was ist, und Voivod ist gewöhnungsbedürftig, aber auch nicht schlecht.
    Warum hätten sie Les nehmen sollen? Jason war doch 15 Jahre nen guter Bassist bei Metallica :skeptisch:

We'll lose the things we've fighted for
    Each rise is followed by a fall
    We'll lose the ones we love, the ones we most adore
    Yet go on... We go on

• Eben! Ich bin auch der Meinung, dass Jason mit Echobrain eine gute Arbeit geleistet, je nach Geschmackssache! :D
    Man muss aber Jason wirklich zu Gute halten, dass er sich wirklich bemüht was eigenes und neues auf die Beine zu stellen. Wäre doch wirklich übel gewesen, hätte Jason quasi das gleiche Ding wie Metallica durchgezogen, nur mit einer anderen Band.

METALLICA

"Man kann Angela Merkel alles vorwerfen, aber hochgebumst hat die sich nicht!" Ingo Appelt

BEER - Everybody needs a Hobby BEER

• Bin auch nach wie vor Jason-Fan und meiner Meinung nach hätten sie keinen besseren finden können nach Cliff's Tod. Sehr sehr schade dass das alles so enden musste (also von Jason's "Ausstieg" spreche ich jetzt), aber das tut doch seinen Verdiensten um Metallica keinen Abbruch. Ich bin der Meinung der neue, egal wer es auch immer sein wird, wird es verdammt schwer haben die Lücke die Jase hinterlassen hat auch nur annähernd zu füllen, dafür hat Mr. Newsted einfach viel zu viel geleistet für Metallica (14 Jahre sind ja auch kein Pappenstil) Und selbst wenn es sogar Les Claypool werden sollte, für mich wird Jason immer ein Teil von Metallica bleiben (ich weiß klingt albern, ist aber so!), da kannst du sagen was du willst. Und wie kommst du eigentlich überhaupt zu dem Schluss dass 'Tallica mit Les damals besser gefahren wäre? :skeptisch:

Now with new hope some will be proud
    This is no hoax, no one pushed out
    Receive a reprieve and be a pioneer
    Break new ground of a new frontier
    New ideas will surely get by
    No deed, or dividend. Some may ask "Why?"
    You'll find the solution, the answers in the sky!

• Also, ich finde die Platte von echobrain ziemlich geil. Auf Dauer ein bisschen nervig, kann man sich aber gut mal anhören. Wundert mich, dass das kein kommerzieller Erfolg geworden ist. Ein, zwei fette Single Auskoppelungen wären drin gewesen

• naja ich meine nur, Les Claypool hätte sich gegen die 3 anderen (allen voran Jayms und Lars) wohl besser durchgesetzt .... ihr glaubt doch nicht im ernst, dass Jason aus gesundheitlichen Gründen aufgehört hat??? .... wieso will er denn dann bei Voivod einsteigen ... die spielen wohl ganz ruhige, schonende Konzerte?????

Außerdem heißt es immer Jason von Metallica, er wird nie als selbständiger musiker bekannt ... er ist Metallicas Jason

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!

Hard N Heavy Tourflash

• Mytallica
    Mytallica
    30.09.2023 - 29.03.2025
    Tickets ab € 22,70
  • Beyond The Black
    Beyond The Black
    05.04.2024 - 27.04.2024
    Tickets ab € 45,49
  • Tankard
    Tankard
    05.10.2023 - 10.05.2024