Down (Southern Metal)

• DAS album des jahres! glaube da kann nich mal die nile so ganz mit halten. Ich kenne zwar die down 2 nich aber die scheibe hier kann mit nola zumindest mithalten. Und der phil leistet wirklich tolles am mic :bang2: :thumbup: :singer:

• kann mit nola zumindest mithalten. Und der phil leistet wirklich tolles am mic :bang2: :thumbup: :singer:

Ich dachte schon ich wäre der einzige, der so denkt. :thumbup:

Am besten gefällt mir "Pillamyd" und der Introsong, wobei "Pillamyd" mir gleich von Anfang an gefallen hat.

Zu Down II: Kann nicht wirklich mit Nola und III mithalten, ist aber trotzdem empfehlenswert.

• hier, wen es interessiert ein (ja, seeehr selten :D ) email-interview mit phil:

Headbangers Ball Blog: What is Over the Under a reference to? Why did you choose it as the second part of your album title? (at the time of the interview, we were told the name of the album was Down III: Over the Under — HBB Ed).

Philip Anselmo: Over the Under is the title of the record. As for its reference, it’s quite self-explanatory. (It’s not titled DOWN III).

This album seems to be all about overcoming obstacles and moving on following tragedy.

The answer lies in the question. You are correct.

Everyone knows about the recent low points in your life - the death of Dime, your agonizing back pain, Hurricane Katrina. But all too often, people dwell on the negative. Were there any highlights over the past two years? And if so, what were they?

Rebuilding our lives through a positive placement of the human experience. I have very little back pain. We four New Orleans boys live there. [Bassist] Rex [Brown] is in Texas. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I think of Darrell everyday. He comes up in conversation constantly, and it always puts a smile on everyone’s face. There was only ONE Darrell, none better before nor after, as a person first and a guitarist first as well. Also, making this record was insane. Literally. We pushed each other to a higher plane. It was beautiful. It was true, the best therapy of all.

How would this record be different if these three major life-changing events never happened? Is it possible it wouldn’t be as powerful? Is it possible it wouldn’t been made at all?

I have no clue how to answer the first two parts of the question, however I always felt Down would jam again. Under what circumstance, I didn’t know.

You have said that this was the hardest album you’ve ever recorded. Were the battles mental or physical?

Both. When the head goes, the body will surely fall. But it didn’t happen. WILL has always served me well. I was coasting on fumes at the end, but so was [guitarist] Pepper [Keenan] and [producer] Warren [Riker]. Between the three of us, a new reservoir of WILL was tapped into. That was plenty enough to finish properly.

Is there a story the exemplifies how low things got during the recording process?

No. It was tough. It was demanding. That makes it worth it. We did what we do for a living. Our job.

What helped you get through the tough times?

The tough got it DONE. That’s obvious.

What was most rewarding about making this record?

Everyone’s performance was not just great; it was necessary. We did what we set out to do. At the end of any day that was productive is always enjoyable.

What did you want to do differently as a vocalist this time, and did your surgery require you to change the way you sang at all?

As a vocalist, I’ve cemented my legacy thus far in one style of voice that set the prototype for a lot of today’s Heavy Metal vocalists. But, I can really sing a bit. With Down, singing feels right. It fees necessary.

What, specifically, was inspirational about going out on tour with Heaven and Hell before you finished writing this album?

Playing shows with Black Sabbath is always an honor. They are consummate pros. Ronnie James Dio’s rapport with the audience is special. His voice is stunning. The band were the tightest I’d ever heard. Just playing out felt incredible for us, not to mention the situation.

Do you feel more unified as a band now than you’ve been in the past?

Absolutely. After everything mentioned before, how could we not be? Adversity is just what it is. After the smoke cleared, we were all still standing together, and ready to roll onward.

When you did Down II, you were under the influence of some heavy painkillers. How was it different to do this record completely sober?

It was enjoyable. Sobriety has been kind to me all along, since I embraced it. Down II shouldn’t be the only recording pigeon-held. Remember, every recording I’d ever done since my first demo in 1985 till 2005 or 2006, I was at least drinking, and probably heavily. Also, during Down II I had three ruptured discs, and I felt I had nowhere to turn to to really fix me. On Over the Under I had the fusion operation, I had strict regiment forced upon me. I needed it. I believe it shows on the new record.

Are you ever tempted to go back to drinking and/or taking pills?
    Water is pretty tough to give up, and don’t even get me started on Noni juice. Have you ever attempted to swallow a multi-vitamin the size of a horse pill? Trust me, the liquid
    version is easier, and tastes better.

In the past, you’ve been railroaded and exploited by some journalists looking for a sensational story. Do you still mistrust the rock press?

ABSOLUTELY, or I wouldn’t be answering this line of questioning in this format. The music will speak much clearer than 1,000 interviews.

Controversial horror film director Jim Van Bebber filmed you guys while you were on tour. Is he going to release a documentary of Down, a live DVD or something else?

Eventually, when the time is right.

Quelle: http://headbangersblog.mtv.com…mail-interview/#more-1117

• uns steht evtl bald ne down EP ins haus :hurra: Laut dem guten philip sind 6 songs augenommen und reste von den over the under sessions stehen wohl auch zur verfügung. DAS wär mal spitze, dann würde ich das jahr 2008 mittlerweile im musikalischen bereich als eins der besten bezeichen.

• Also ich habe nur Over the Under, aber die Scheibe ist mal der Hammer. Wie ein moderner Mix aus Sabbath, Zeppelin und Southern Rock.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
    You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

• Ja schön knarzig sind sie. Allerdings sind die andern 2 Alben auch klasse. Nur gewöhnungsbedürftiger.

• Scheisse wie geil ist eigentlich Mourn ???? Das Lied groovt ja ohne Ende !!!!!

Das musste mal gesagt werden :D

• Ist das Zufall oder warum wollte ich den Thread grad wieder hochholen 8|
    Auf jeden Fall hoer ich Down grad wieder verstärkt. Man die Mucke reisst mich so dermassen mit,
    sowas gabs schon lange nicht mehr. Super!!!
    Bin gespannt was als nächstes kommt. Wollen ja anscheinend dieses Jahr noch was raushauen!!

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Tour Of Events 13.02.12 Stuttgart

Accept Stuttgart/Filderstadt 11.04.12

• ich habe soeben meine karten fürs wien konzert am 24.6. bestellt :hurra:

das wird der hammer! freu ich mich jetzt schon drauf :)

mit dabei sind übrigens DevilDriver und God Forbid 8)

• die Mukke passt auch irgendwie perfekt zum Wetter, obwohl sie schon recht düster ist.

• Over The Under ist einfach genial. ich kanns nicht in Worte fassen!!!
    Haut mich richtig um.
    Ich glaub ich bestell mir gleich mal die Down II,
    die hab ich noch nicht.

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Tour Of Events 13.02.12 Stuttgart

Accept Stuttgart/Filderstadt 11.04.12

• ich habe jetzt mal in NOLA reingehoert, das ist ja noch geiler als Over the Under, richtig groovig das Ding. :rockdevil:

• Konzert in Wien am 24. war der absolute Hammer. Viel mehr kann man nicht sagen. Und die Setlist war auch erste Sahne.

100% agree!

Es is schon wahnsinn wenn mit Phil Anselmo das Idol deiner Jugend zwei Meter oder so vor dir steht und dich anschaut. Einfach nur geil!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!

Hard N Heavy Tourflash

• Nazareth
    Nazareth
    13.11.2023 - 04.07.2024
    Tickets ab € 42,35
  • Judas Priest
    Judas Priest
    24.03.2024 - 01.04.2024
    Tickets ab € 71,49
  • Tankard
    Tankard
    05.10.2023 - 10.05.2024