Neues Inter...mit Dave

• The guitar is god at Dave Mustaine’s heavy-metal festival

By Michael Deeds
    McClatchy Newspapers
    (MCT)

Gigantour is just beginning as a traveling heavy-metal festival, but it’s the first sign of the end for its founder, Megadeth singer-guitarist Dave Mustaine.

“The time that I’m going to be out beating the drum on the road is nearing an end,” Mustaine says, reflecting on a quarter century of headbanging. “I want to be able to pass the torch. I don’t want to go off into retirement and not be able to share everything I’ve learned ... not give some of it back. It’s time for the whole thing to go full circle.”

Now in its second year, the eight-band, 25-market Gigantour is an ear-splitting farewell from one of metal’s most influential figures—a sort of thank-you to a genre that provided him with fame and fortune. Headlined once again by Megadeth, the 6 ½-hour festival also features Lamb of God, Opeth, Arch Enemy, Overkill, Into Eternity, Sanctity and The Smashup.

Mustaine’s concept is earnest and direct: Offer kids a chance to see established and up-and-coming bands in a safe, fun, affordable, all-ages environment. While the musicians are inspired by friendly competition, the fans get to soak up top-notch guitar shredding.

“The whole spirit of Gigantour is what I think a metal festival should be like,” Mustaine says. “You should be able to go to this if you’re a young kid and not have somebody beat the hell out of you in the pit. You should be able to go there if you’re a girl and not get raped like what happened at Woodstock in 1999. You should be able to go there, big or small, if you’re a guy, and be able to let it all hang out and get what you need from these metal bands.”

So, in reality, Mustaine—the infamously outspoken ax-slinger who performed thrash-metal classics such as “Killing is My Business ... And Business is Good,” “Symphony of Destruction” and “Sweating Bullets”—is actually a great big softie? Maybe not exactly. But this father of two wants to leave a positive legacy.

“Life is hard,” Mustaine says, “and sometimes the only escape we get is through the music that we love. And I want to be able to bring some happiness to people.”

Gigantour should do the trick for anybody who loves the crunch of power chords and squeal of pinch harmonics. When choosing acts for Gigantour, Mustaine’s criteria boiled down to one molten must-have: Blazing guitar. All the bands on Gigantour boast a jaw-dropping level of technical proficiency, which will be showcased on two stages.

“It’s definitely a guitar players’ thing,” Mustaine says of Gigantour. “And some of the guys, they play guitar in extreme metal or death metal bands and stuff like that, and the singing isn’t quite necessarily my style of singing. But one thing’s undeniable: The guitar playing is fantastic. That’s all I care about.”

One of those guitarists is Tim Roth of Into Eternity. For his largely unknown Canadian band, Gigantour is a chance to be exposed to American arena audiences. But it’s also a fan’s dream come true for the 31-year-old, who has a framed photo of himself and Mustaine—taken backstage at a Megadeth concert—hanging in his living room.

“I’m a serious fan,” Roth says. “Megadeth is like my favorite band. To me, it’s kind of ridiculous (to be on Gigantour). I just try not to think about it.”

Mustaine says this is the final year Megadeth will headline Gigantour, although the group may return during future outings as a special performer. The time has come to turn down the volume—as in number—of Megadeth concerts. Mustaine says he isn’t interested in becoming an old, out-of-touch rocker.

Woooot o_O scheiße...

“I don’t want to be made fun of like that,” Mustaine says. “I hear the Ozzy jokes. ... There’s a lot of guys out there that are going to be able to carry the torch of the new generation of heavy metal.”

Still, 45—which Mustaine will turn Sept. 13—doesn’t quite seem old enough to retire.

“Yeah, well, I’m sure that if you asked my kids, they would beg to differ,” Mustaine says. “I’ll consider that. I need to remember that the road is very narrow, and there’s a lot of people traveling it right now. I’ve been very fortunate. It’s pretty much time for me to step aside. I can still be on the road. I just don’t need to be in the fast lane anymore.”

• Zitat

Original von BloodbatH
    Mustaine says this is the final year Megadeth will headline Gigantour, although the group may return during future outings as a special performer. The time has come to turn down the volume—as in number—of Megadeth concerts. Mustaine says he isn’t interested in becoming an old, out-of-touch rocker.

Woooot o_O scheiße...

heißt das jetzt das sie sich auflösen odeer was... mein english ist nicht so gut

• ne mustaine will nur ein bischn kuerzer treten
    aber bei ihm weis man ja echt nie. mal so, mal so
    wer weis schon was er im naechsten jahr macht, vielleicht setzt er ja schon naechsten monat ne riesen europatourne an :D

• Zitat

Original von freak
    ne mustaine will nur ein bischn kuerzer treten
    aber bei ihm weis man ja echt nie. mal so, mal so
    wer weis schon was er im naechsten jahr macht, vielleicht setzt er ja schon naechsten monat ne riesen europatourne an :D

ok danke

mustaine ist auch nichtmehr das was er mal war... obwohl der war schon immer etwas "seltsam"

• ich habe megadeth mal live als vorband von ac/dc gesehen (2001?) in hannover.

die sind gut abgegangen, haben von der lautstärke aber bestimmt nur 40-50% power bekommen :unsure: ...schade war´s schon...ac/dc hatte bestimmt angst, dass die vorband mehr powert :aufsmaul:

• Ich hab se noch nie live gesehn... allein deshalb müssen die schon nochmal nach Deutschland kommen ;)..... hoffe ich jedefalls... gibts eigentlich scho sowas wie ein Netzwerk für Metcamper zwecks Saufen und Pennen nach Konzerten in anderen Städten?

• Zitat

Original von Bison
    Ich hab se noch nie live gesehn... allein deshalb müssen die schon nochmal nach Deutschland kommen ;)..... hoffe ich jedefalls... gibts eigentlich scho sowas wie ein Netzwerk für Metcamper zwecks Saufen und Pennen nach Konzerten in anderen Städten?

das glaube ich kaum... hier hassen sich doch alle

• ach gottchen....maiden sagen dass auch seit jahren nach jeder tour. und was ist? sie sind schon wieder auf tour. Sind zwar nurnoch 2 auftritte in deutschland aber sie sind immernoch da. Und Dave hat schonmal gesagt dass schluss ist, dann doch nicht, dann wieder und dann war er schon wieder da...nuja, abwarten.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!

Hard N Heavy Tourflash

• Judas Priest
    Judas Priest
    24.03.2024 - 01.04.2024
    Tickets ab € 71,49
  • Depeche Mode
    Depeche Mode
    13.02.2024 - 08.04.2024
    Tickets ab € 66,05
  • Saxon
    Saxon
    26.03.2024 - 02.04.2024